Monday, February 20, 2012

OHHH ADULTHOOD

Okay, deep breath. I may or may not be about to take the next step into my adult phase of life. Two of my friends and I are very possibly looking at signing a 12 month lease on a townhouse for next year, starting in July. Where is my life going?! I can't explain how scary yet exciting this is. Here comes even more responsibility. But the fun kind! I'd have to say I'm definitely more excited than scared. But where did some of my favorite things go?
For instance, when I was little, my dad played this game called Monster Dad with my sister and me. It was just this silly game where my dad would hide somewhere while my sister and I went looking for him around the house, and he'd jump out and chase us with his hands up like claws. My sister and I laughed and screamed and ran... It was so simple but it's one of my favorite memories ever. 
And one day, I was living in my first house, and it was a really warm spring morning. I was walking to the bus stop two doors down between two giant pines. There's not much special about this memory, but there was a special warmth and happiness that is emphasized in my head that I wish I could grasp. I have no idea what made that moment so amazing in a young girl's head. Maybe it was the pure innocence of the moment, I don't know. Whatever it was, it's forever cemented in my head.

What causes simple moments like that to be implanted into our best memories? Whether it's your grandmother tucking you in with a certain sheet on her couch, or jumping on your old trampoline with dish soap... what makes some of those special moments special?

If we had the ability to seize these feelings as we remembered them... wouldn't that be amazing? Maybe later on, I'll be able to gain those feelings again through my children and grandchildren. Who knows? For now, I'll live in the moment.

Don't forget to appreciate the little things. Someday they may be the best memories you have!


Until next time,
I'm growing up. 



No comments:

Post a Comment